Wednesday, February 22, 2012

New Artwork for Charm!

While I loved this picture hanging on Charm's wall for the last 8 months or so (it was the original inspiration for the vintage modern feel of his room), it started to feel a little too 'nursery' for my 'big boy's' room:).


So I found inspiration on page 357 of my signed copy of Grace Bonney's, Design Sponge.  (A Christmas gift from my parents.  Thank you, Oma and Opa!).


I didn't have nor need a dresser for the space, but I did have an extra canvas hanging around (It was being used as a temporary headboard for Charm's toddler bed).  I used a salad plate to recreate the wave pattern on the canvas with a pencil:


Next, I gathered up a few blue paints, along with white and black paints so I could alter the colors to get a nice gradient pattern.


 Progress:


Project Complete!:


Charm calls his mushroom jars, bongos and plays them accordingly.  I was inspired by these acrylic jars at pottery barn kids, but even on sale for $20, it is a steep price to pay for a plastic jar, in my opinion.  So when I spied some red lidded plastic jars in the Target bulk snack food aisle late last fall, I scooped up a pretzel jar and a frosted cookie jar.  When we were finished snacking on the food, I washed the jars out and removed the labels.  Next, I filled the jars with faux moss rocks that I picked up at the dollar store last fall, as well.  Finally, while I planned to make my own mushrooms, I got lucky when Target offered felted wool mushroom ornaments.  I waited until they went on sale the day after Christmas and scooped up three of them.  They were $1.50 each.


They didn't have any red mushrooms left, however, so I used some felt and turned a blue mushroom into a red mushroom.  The white dots are just white felt.  I used little pieces of velcro on the bottoms of both the jars and the mushrooms to help them stand up, though they are a bit top heavy.


Finally, I modge podged a big letter 'H' that I picked up at Joann's with a 50% off coupon ($5) using our Sunday newspaper.

I love the look of this side of Charm's Room.  And actually, I am within eyesight of the finish line for Charm's Room.  More Charm's Room posts to come soon!!

Linking up to Finding Fabulous.
Linking up to The Shabby Nest.
Linking up to Thrifty Decor Chick.

9 comments:

  1. This is really cute! I love the variegated colors on Charm's new picture. It reminds me of some lovely afghans that I've seen. I bet he loves his BIG H!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing!! It mimics the background of your blog, too! I found your blog through Finding Fabulous--so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail...Thanks! He does love his big 'H'!

    Kendra...I didn't even notice the similarity between my blog background and that project...no wonder I liked that dresser so much!! Thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, love the colors you used!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh lord, beth, those are adorable! thank you for sharing them with me!!! i think you and i have very similar taste- that wave dresser is one i have had in my files for a while. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps- i may have to copy your artwork somewhere....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I ask where you got the bins for the cubby unit you have? Please email me ckverdurmen(at)hotmail(dot)com

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent an email too, but I thought I would include the source here in case anyone else is interested: http://www.target.com/p/itso-full-size-fabric-storage-bin-brown/-/A-10817715#prodSlot=medium_1_6&term=itso bins

      I picked these up on super clearance at Target a couple years ago!

      Delete